The effects are quite small among the best 100 lineups (we're talking 2 runs per year!) But what is consistent: Betts hits 2nd (100%) Leon hits last (100%) Pedroia leads off (~95% -- Bogaerts the other 5%)
The 9th batter is the predecessor to the lead-off batter so unless the 9th batter has a better OBP than the 8th batter, I'd rather the weakest batter in a line-up bat 8th.
As a child little did you know when you picked up a baseball it would grip you for life.
I tend to agree with you but it's a lot to put on a rookie. If he's hitting third, then one has to assume they don't expect a rookie type season out of him, thus, expectations are high.
If they think he's talented enough to hit third in this sort of lineup then they also think he has the type of talent that isn't just going to break under expectations. And if there is any impact from pressure (Which I'm skeptical of in the first place but will consider for argument's sake), isn't it best to push through that in April and May?
Also, wouldn't a counterargument to the pressure be that hitting in between Xander Bogaerts and Mookie Betts is a pretty sweet arrangement?
Looking through the recommended lineups, my biggest concern is having some combination of Moreland, Sandoval and Bradley hitting next to each other - which will cause problems in the late innings.
vs RHP: 2B Pedroia (R) LF Benintendi (L) SS Bogaerts (R) RF Betts (R) CF Bradley (L) DH Ramirez (R) 1B Moreland (L) C Leon (S/R) 3B Sandoval (S/L)
vs LHP: 2B Pedroia (R) SS Bogaerts (R) LF Benintendi (L) RF Betts (R) 1B Ramirez (R) CF Bradley (L) DH Young (R) C Leon (S/R) 3B Sandoval (S/L) - or Holt (L)/Rutledge (R)
This leaves minimal moving parts and avoids LOOGY from crushing the bottom of the lineup. I added 'L' and 'R' for Sandoval and Leon as they heavily favor hitting lefty and righty respectively. If someone wants to swap Beni and X, it wouldn't make much of a difference. I really wish this bench had a better RHH 3B (Hwang would have been great) and a LHH C (perhaps Swihart down the road as he's better from the left side)